In August 2008 the World Bank requested that ITDP Europe organise, coordinate, and accompany a 9-day study tour of a Ugandan delegation to Amsterdam (The Netherlands), Bogota and Pereira (Columbia) and New York (U.S.A.). The purpose of the trip was to improve the current urban transport problems in Kampala, and to build the capacity of planners to execute sustainable transport solutions.
ITDP will then assist with:
- Design of the financial model, business plan and investor documents.
- Preparation of the bidding documents of the bus operators and fare collector.
- Establishment of bicycle network and
- Access control to the Central Business District through improved parking management.
- Pre-appraisal in February 2009 (Major Stakeholders Meeting)
- Pre-Feasibility study April - June 2009
- Draft report for endorsement at a stakeholders workshop in June 2009
- Appraisal of the IDA Transport Improvement Project (TIP) - to finance the design of the phase one Kampala BRT
- Procurement for detailed design after the June 2009 workshop
- TIP is expected to be approved by IDA in December 2009
- Detailed design and bidding document ready by end of 2010
- BRT will be operational in 2012.